Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Career Planning for High School Students: Part 2



When Should I Start Career Planning?

- Is it ever too early or too late?

I am often asked by students and teachers about the best time to start career planning. Many classroom teachers feel starting in middle school is way too early, but I have found quite a few article that suggest this is the best time to start.

This is discussed in this post via http://www.ecampustours.com:
Career planning is a process that should begin in 8th or 9th grade. By starting the process early, you will have ample time to research a variety of career opportunities and learn about your likes and dislikes as you grow and experience new ideas. However, you should keep in mind that it's never too late to start career planning even if you are already in college. Use these tips to help in planning your career as you go throughout high school and college.

Based on my life experience, I started thinking about careers at an early age, and I assumed many students and individuals had the same experience. This stems from a common question in my early life:  What do you want to be when you grow up?

I was never stumped by this question.   Some of the answers I gave included: truckdriver, professional football player, and lawyer.

I wonder if parents and other adults still ask young kids this question in present day society.   I think it is a great question to ask, as it allows young kids to use their imagination, and to think about their dream job.   It is also a good question to ask adults dissatisfied with their current profession.

One question every career seeker should ask themselves: 

What is your dream job?  (Link to most common childhood dream jobs via Washington Post)

This is a great starting place in terms of finding a fulfilling career!

Please post your dream job(s) under comments.





No comments:

Post a Comment