Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Grandma Mary and Grandpa Con: a tribute

My grandmother passed away this year, but her good nature, sense of humor, and fiery personality won't soon be forgotten.
My grandparents will always be remembered for all of the great times and adventures our family experienced with them.
Their cabin on Union Lake was a favorite place for my brothers and I to go and enjoy the short Minnesota summers.  They were both very fond of their lake place, and it showed. The weedless swimming beach, thanks to Grandma Mary's diligent weed raking, and an endless supply of licorice
and twenty spots,  thanks to Grandpa Con. Their cabin was a great place to play antique slot machines, take a hot tub, or just sit by the fireplace with a hot cup of coffee.
My memories of their place are many, but I will always cherish the early mornings at their cabin,
sipping coffee around the wood stove on cool mornings, and playing solitaire and king's in the corner at the kitchen table.
With all the great things about Grandma and Grandpa, I can't leave out their nurturing nature. Grandma would apply Methiolate, via Mexico, to any injuries my brothers and I received. She would give us 7 almonds, 2 apricots, and 2 prunes, so we could avoid numerous diseases these items would prevent(she lived well into her 90's, so I think she was onto something).
I will always remember  Grandma's caring personality, her faith in God, and her affection for the eccentricities in life.  She left her legacy, and was a proud great, great grandmother. Our family will continue to talk about her amazing traits...she could tread water, longer than my brothers and I, well into her 90's!  She was truly unique, and I will always remember the good times at the lake cabin.

No comments:

Post a Comment