Thursday, June 26, 2014

studying for the CDL permit test in MN

Free CDL general knowledge practice test from Truckers Report

I have been using the practice test listed above, along with the Minnesota CDL booklet to practice for my CDL and airbrakes test, which I am going to take this morning. I hope to attain my CDL permit, and will post my results.
 General knowledge questions,I missed on the practice test:
  • half hour before sunset and sunrise - vehicle lights must be on.  I thought new trucks had daytime running lights just like regular vehicles.
  • Blood alcohol content of .02, placed out of service for 24 hrs. 
  • Checking air seat is not part of the pre-trip
  • hold hands on opposite side of the wheel.  I was thinking ten and two towards the top.
  • look 12-15 seconds ahead

air brake test questions I missed on the online practice test:
  • when going down a long steep grade, you should release the brake when you are 5MPH below your safe speed
  • the brake drums must not have any cracks longer than half the width of the friction area.
  • the safety valve in the air compressor tank is set to open at 150 psi 
  • to check the governor on the air compressor tank cut in and cut out do all of the following: run the engine at a fast idle, step on and off the pedal, and monitor the pressure gauge
  •  dual air brake system has two air brake systems and one set of controls
  • the air compressor is connected to the engine through gears and a v belt
  • the braking power of the spring brakes depends on the adjustment of the service brakes
  • air compressor one way check valve keeps air in the tank if a leak develops
  • S cam brakes are the most common on commercial vehicles
  •  

No comments:

Post a Comment