Friday, May 2, 2014

Thoughts on Bullying



What does bullying have to do with success or failure?


I am not sure...


I think that educational success, and study habits, are associated with bullying in many ways.

Bullying sometimes starts even before we begin school. Daycare is the place we first learn how to interact with bullies, or when we become bullies.


Buck tooth, loser, pencil neck, four eyes....these were all things I heard growing up. I took some teasing and bullying; I dished out some bullying and teasing. Little did I know that bullying wouldn't go away. In fact, it is more prevalent today.


I have a close family member in middle school. Two students from the school took their own lives due to excessive bullying directed at them. I was truly sorry to hear about this situation, but it was determined that the cause was that they were being excessively bullied at school.

I see people being emotionally bullied, and we all know of someone at work or in our social circles that is the narcissistic bully. We try to avoid them, but despite all the avoidance work, they can still affect our lives, if we let them.


So what does this have to do with study skills?


Be aware of bullying, especially when choosing your course of study, or even when choosing to attend college for the first, or second, time. Life is full of naysayers and bullies that will try to derail your course of study choice based on socioeconomics, fear, and their own insecurities. Study the subject that you love, and don't let the bullies, or negative voices, get in your way.


The fact of the matter is that bullies exist, and choosing to be aware is my best defense.

No comments:

Post a Comment