Friday, May 3, 2013

College Study Skills Tips: How to Read a Textbook with Dartmouth Links

One tip I want to share is on reading a textbook. Check out this link for free tips on reading textbooks more effectively via Dartmouth.

 I was always an avid reader of literature, especially William Faulkner, but when it came to my freshman year in college, I didn't know how to read a textbook.
I also didn't know what it took to succeed in college.

After wasting a great deal of time and money, I learned that I needed help to succeed in college.  I went
to the college writing and tutoring center, and one of the tutors had me try reading my college texts with a pen and paper in hand.   The tutor suggested I write notes while reading the chapter, and to put all of the definitions and concepts in my own words. Check out this link for more information on active note taking via Dartmouth.

 It turned out that I was mainly a visual learner, and the repetition and focus associated with writing the definition, and summarizing key concepts, really helped me with retention in terms of the course readings.


I also learned that I needed to treat my college classes like a job. Check out this link to time management strategies and other great study skills tips via study.gs.  The site holds a wealth of valuable study skills information.  I could still have a life and have fun, but no more missing the 8 a.m. class due to being out too late.  I quit missing class, and started reading my texts actively.  And guess what?   I ended up improving the grades in my courses when I applied these two techniques.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment