Saturday, February 22, 2014

Memory and Study Skills

During a class discussion this week, I asked my students to discuss the way they memorize. It was interesting to see them ponder this question, and I think it had caught them by surprise.  One response:  I use repetition to memorize things, and I think my best example is mechanic work.
Another response was flashcards, and one student mentioned turning it into a song.  This was a group of seniors, and I was impressed with their responses, as I often turn to repetition, the write the spelling word over and over until I am bored with writing it approach.  Mom always would say when I was bored with writing it down over and over, I would know it for the test. She was right, and I still work on memorization techniques with all of my students, as memorization is a very important lesson in lifelong learning.
Live and Learn.
Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment