Tuesday, April 24, 2018

How Truck Drivers Can Eat Healthy on the Road

How Truck Drivers Can Eat Healthy on the Road: The news came as a shock to Emily Plummer. Her blood sugar level had jumped, threatening to end her 18-year career as an interstate truck driver. Find out how she saved her career and learned to eat healthy on the road.

from the article:“In the car portion of the truck stop, they’ll have fresh fruit containers, but when I go to the fuel desk it’s king-size candy bars,” adds Julie Matulle of Oshkosh, Wisconsin. “Really? Come on. Some days are really bad and you just need a Dove bar, but you don’t need a king-size one.”


Despite the on-the-road obstacles to healthy eating, Matulle managed to lose 35 pounds when she started driving five years ago at age 45. She rarely bothers to stop at a truck stop for anything but fuel, saving time and money by baking chicken breasts, pork chops, or a pre-packed casserole in her truck.


“If I had one tip to give to drivers it would be to get a little oven, it looks like a tackle box,” says Matulle, who prepares meals and freezes them in portion-size containers when she’s home on the weekend. She plugs her little oven into the truck’s cigarette lighter and makes her meal while she’s driving.

“I also use it as a time saver,” she adds. “If I know I’m going to deliver in an hour, I’ll pull up at a rest area, wash my hands and put something in the oven. Then when I’m waiting to be loaded or unloaded I can eat.”


No comments:

Post a Comment