Sunday, November 22, 2015

Sauna Enthusiasts in Minnesota: Star Tribune Article


I was impressed by the article on the rising interest in sauna's among Minnesota's millennials.
I have built many saunas, and was first introduced to them from my father and grandfather.  They
are a nice way to fight back against the long dark winters in Minnesota.  I enjoy firing up my wood burning
sauna stove and filling up the wood bucket with some water, and standing outside between sessions in
subzero freezing temperatures.   A dousing of cold water over my head and maybe a scrub with some
tar soap, along with a few beers is a way to show mother nature that the cold isn't going to win.  I think
this resilience is what the Finnish refer to as SISU, and Minnesotan's could use a little of this when it comes
to our relentless winter weather.

It is also a practice that doesn't incorporate electronics.  They are actually shunned in my sauna, along with
loud talking, and electric light.  The only light in my sauna is a candle, if we use any light at all.


Here is my favorite quote from the article, in reference to how taking a sauna is like a mini-vacation from their electronic leash cellphones: “They are so plugged in all the time, it’s hard for people of that age to drop that, so the sauna has become this wonderful place to do that, like a mini-vacation,” he said.

Read the entire article: Sauna Enthusiasts in Minnesota: Star Tribune Article link

No comments:

Post a Comment