Monday, June 3, 2013

List of study techniques that helped me.

When I returned to college after working in construction, I came up with a list of helpful things that made my second attempt at college successful.  Many of the items will read as being common-sense based actions, that most successful students make, but I want to share the list as a way of showing what I changed, and how those changes affected my success in my my second attempt at college.

  • I decided to treat my classes like my job.  My last job before returning to college was working on the road as a construction worker.  Our work week was 5:30 am to 10:00 pm Monday through Saturday.  When I returned to college, I still socialized and had fun, but I made sure that no matter how much fun I had the night before, I would still attend my 8 am class.
  • I picked a major that was my passion: English Literature and Writing. During my first attempt at college, I majored in film studies, archaeology, photojournalism, and sociology. I also didn't attend class regularly, and switched majors like most people switch shoes...which is to say very often.   The writing classes held my attention, and studying for class meant reading great literature and writing; these are two of my favorite things.
  • I lived in campus housing.  Living in campus housing helped with many social and educational factors.  I lived close to my classes, so I couldn't use all the familiar excuses for not attending.   I met other students, and learned from them, and also studied with them.   I also made friends in my classes, and formed study groups so we could help each other with assignments, and also as support on the nights when we wanted to blow off studying.
  • I took a work study position at the college library.   This position helped me in many ways.   It was a great job that made me familiar with the research process, and it also allowed for study time during my work shifts. It may sound too good to be true, but many works study positions, such as working at the writing or tutoring center, or working in the campus library, allows you to make money and study at the same time!
More tips to come in my future posts!



No comments:

Post a Comment