Wednesday, September 9, 2015

College Admissions Strategies for Students with Less Than Perfect Grades

Many students struggling with their grades in high school may be worried about attending a post secondary institution.   I had problems with certain classes in high school, and my grades reflected it. The article below is a case study of a student that was accepted into college, despite the low grades he received in high school:
http://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/articles/2013/11/20/4-college-admissions-strategies-for-students-with-bad-grades

From the article:
As a high school student in Tennessee, Austin Herrera knew that he wanted to go to college. But with grades ranging from A's to D's, he knew his options would be limited. 
Herrera says he was too distracted in school and his reputation as a class clown, extracurriculars and lack of interest and effort affected his grades. Dyslexia, he says, was another hurdle that affected his grades and confidence. 
"I doubted myself and sort of gave up on myself when I saw the grades that I had, because I would work hard and study but I still came out with a low grade," he wrote in an email. 
Herrera switched schools his senior year and used the new atmosphere to change direction and focus on the future. Realizing that his past academic problems would affect his admission chances, Herrera used his personal statement to acknowledge his grades, discuss his learning disability and show his interest in studying business and film. 
"I explained dyslexia – what it was and how I learned. I just explained that I'm a very hard worker and passionate." 
Herrera was accepted into two of the five schools he applied to and now studies film as a freshman at Columbia College Chicago
For students who struggle academically in high school, the college application process can be especially stressful. The competitive admissions process can make these students feel like college is out of reach, but there are still options. 

No comments:

Post a Comment